How to get rid of mycotoxins in your home? in 2020

Fungi and molds are present in many environments, including indoor and outdoor air, water, soil and decaying organics. They can cause illness in people who are exposed to them. In some cases, molds produce toxins called mycotoxins. Mycotoxins have been linked with a variety of health problems in humans. In this blog post, we will discuss how to get rid of mycotoxins in your home.

How to get rid of mycotoxins in your home?

1. Improve air quality

One of the best ways to reduce your exposure to mycotoxins is to improve the air quality in your home. This can be done by using an air purifier or by opening windows and doors to allow fresh air to circulate. Additionally, you can try to avoid using products that release VOCs (volatile organic compounds) into the air, such as aerosol cleaning products, aerosol paint, and aerosol adhesives.

2. Keep indoor humidity low

Molds thrive in humid environments. Therefore, it is important to keep the indoor humidity levels low (between 30-50%) to prevent mold growth. This can be done by using a dehumidifier or by increasing ventilation. Additionally, you should avoid using humidifiers as they can increase the humidity levels in your home.

3. Clean and repair any water leaks

Water leaks provide an ideal environment for mold growth. Therefore, it is important to clean up any water leaks and repair any leaky pipes or roofs as soon as possible.

4. Remove moldy items from your home

If you have any moldy items in your home, it is important to remove them as they can release mycotoxins into the air. This includes moldy food, moldy carpets, moldy furniture, and moldy clothes.

5. Use non-toxic cleaning products

When cleaning your home, it is important to use non-toxic cleaning products as some cleaning products can release VOCs into the air. Additionally, you should avoid using bleach as it can kill mold but it also releases harmful chemicals into the air.

6. Use an air purifier

Air purifiers can help to remove mycotoxins from the air. This is especially helpful if you are unable to open windows and doors to allow fresh air to circulate.

7. Avoid carpeting

Carpeting can be a breeding ground for mold and other allergens. Therefore, it is important to avoid carpeting if possible. If you must have carpets, make sure to vacuum them regularly and steam clean them at least once a year.

8. Keep your home clean and clutter-free

Mold and other allergens can hide in dust and clutter. Therefore, it is important to keep your home clean and free of clutter. This includes vacuuming regularly, dusting often, and decluttering your home on a regular basis.

9. Use natural fibers

Natural fibers, such as cotton and wool, are less likely to harbor mold and other allergens than synthetic fibers. Therefore, it is important to use natural fibers when possible.

10. Avoid moisture-prone areas

Areas of your home that are prone to moisture, such as the bathroom and kitchen, should be avoided as they can promote mold growth. If you must enter these areas, make sure to ventilate them well and dry them off as soon as possible.

11. Check for mold before buying a home

If you are considering buying a home, it is important to have it inspected for mold before making the purchase. This can help to prevent you from being exposed to mycotoxins.

12. Be aware of the symptoms of mold exposure

Molds can cause a variety of health problems in people who are exposed to them. These include respiratory problems, skin irritation, and allergic reactions. If you experience any of these symptoms, it is important to see a doctor as soon as possible.

How can you tell if your home has mycotoxins present and what are the symptoms of exposure to them?

If you suspect that your home has mycotoxins present, it is important to have it inspected by a professional. They will be able to test for the presence of mycotoxins and advise you on how to proceed.

The symptoms of exposure to mycotoxins can vary depending on the type of exposure. However, some common symptoms include respiratory problems, skin irritation, and allergic reactions. If you experience any of these symptoms, it is important to see a doctor as soon as possible.

How often should you test for mycotoxins in your home and how can you prevent their spread in the future?

There is no definitive answer as to how often you should test for mycotoxins in your home. However, it is generally recommended that you have your home tested every 1-2 years.

You can prevent the spread of mycotoxins in your home by taking steps to control mold growth. This includes reducing moisture levels, cleaning up water leaks, and removing moldy items from your home. Additionally, you should use non-toxic cleaning products and avoid carpeting if possible.

How do you get mycotoxins out of the air?

Mycotoxins can be removed from the air by using an air purifier. This is especially helpful if you are unable to open windows and doors to allow fresh air to circulate. Additionally, you should avoid using products that release VOCs into the air, such as scented candles and cleaning products.

What is the best air purifier to get rid of mold?

There are a variety of air purifiers on the market that are designed to remove mold from the air. However, not all air purifiers are created equal. When choosing an air purifier, it is important to look for one that has a HEPA filter and is designed for use in small spaces. Additionally, you should make sure that the air purifier you select is able to cover the square footage of the room you plan to use it in.