If you’re like most people, you probably think your air purifier is a life-saver. And it is – in more ways than one. A good quality air purifier can help improve your indoor air quality and keep your family healthy. But did you know that you can run your air purifier 24/7? In this blog post, we’ll explore the pros and cons of running your air purifier around the clock. We’ll also answer some common questions about air purifiers and 24/7 operation. So whether you’re already running your unit 24/7, read on for all the facts.
Can I run my air purifier 24/7? The short answer is yes. But there’s more to the story than that. Let’s explore the merits and downsides of running your unit around the clock. We’ll also look at some frequently asked questions about this topic! Can you use an air purifier even when you’re not home?
Although it can be tempting to leave your air purifier on all day, we don’t recommend doing this for two reasons:
1) your house will get too dry, and 2) your filter may become overloaded with particles and stop working correctly. If either of these occurs, you risk damaging your machine.
Air Purifiers Can Reduce Toxic Odors in Your Home When Running Continuously
It’s a common misconception that air purifiers need to be turned off to preserve the filter’s lifespan. This is not true. When running continuously, your unit will create negative ions and ozone, which bind with particles in the air, neutralizing odors and trapping them on your filter.
8 Reasons Why You Should Run an Air Purifier 24/7
An air purifier in your home is a great way to ensure clean, healthy indoor air. It helps remove allergens and irritants from the room to feel good when at home. But do you need to shut it off when you leave? Or can it run 24/7? Read on to find out!
1) HEPA filters are 99% effective at capturing pollutants
This means they are powerful at trapping small particles that carry dirt, dust mites, pollen, pet dander, mold spores, smoke, and more. These are some of the most common culprits in bad indoor air. If an air purifier with a HEPA filter is left running while everyone goes to the house or sleeps overnight, it will trap all these pollutants.
2) An air purifier is like an extension of your lungs
When you breathe, you’re taking in oxygen and breathing out carbon dioxide. If something blocks the oxygen from getting into your body – like a wall or a big pile of dirty clothes – then your heart and immune system slow down as they aren’t getting enough oxygen to function well. When running 24/7, an air purifier works as an extension for your lungs by cleaning the air around you so that more oxygen gets through and nothing blocks it.
3) Most have filters that are designed for continuous use
Large particles are removed during regular operation, so the filter only traps small particles over time. This means that even though a filter is designed for continuous use, it’s not going to wear out quickly. For example, a portable air purifier with a HEPA-style filter will have noticeably reduced performance after five years of regular use.
4) Regularly running an air purifier clears the negative ions in your home
Negative ions are produced when particles hit the HEPA or carbon filter and stick during regular operation. These negative ions help you feel refreshed and energized when in the room. If you turn off an air purifier in your bedroom at night, these negative ions build up, so there aren’t enough in the room when you go to sleep. Leaving them on overnight helps keep levels higher, so they don’t interfere with falling asleep and sleeping well.
5) Air purifiers make it easier to enjoy your life in the house
Indoor air quality is one of the most significant factors for having a nice place to live. When you can see and feel the clean and fresh air in the space, you’re more relaxed and comfortable in your home. Whether you like sitting in your bedroom reading a book or relaxing in your living room watching TV after work, an air purifier that runs 24/7 makes for better indoor air so that you can enjoy yourself more often.
6) It’s healthier for any pets that spend time inside the home
For cats, dogs, birds, and rabbits, any animal who spends time indoors will benefit from good indoor air quality. This means fewer health issues to deal with, and, in the long term, it can even save money by reducing vet bills.
7) Fresh air helps you sleep better
If your bedroom is full of allergens or irritants, then it’s harder for you to fall asleep. It also affects the quality of your sleep because if you’re breathing in dirty air all night, there are more interruptions during your rest time. A running air purifier overnight will ensure cleaner indoor air so that when you go to bed, fewer things are getting in the way of a better night’s rest.
8) Your home becomes healthier overall
Good indoor air quality makes everyone happier and healthier over time! When the house is kept clean with an air purifier that runs overnight, everyone can breathe easier, feel more comfortable and energized during the day, and sleep better at night.
15 Disadvantages of Running An Air Purifier 24/7:
1. Air purifiers designed for continuous use are usually more expensive than those that require filter replacement.
2. Running your air purifier around the clock emits ozone gas which can cause health problems if high levels of it are present in the room as a byproduct of filtration.
3. To keep ozone emissions as low as possible, make sure you buy an air purifier with a True HEPA filter which reduces or eliminates harmful emissions compared to other types of air cleaners.
4. Ozone filters usually need replacement every 12-18 months depending on the manufacturer and model you buy, so you should consider this cost when purchasing a unit designed for 24/7 use.
5. Because an air cleaner designed for around-the-clock use is always on, you may want to make sure it has a convenient timer option so that you can set it to turn off when you are not at home.
6. Although air purifiers designed for continuous operation come with an ozone filter, some models will still emit small amounts of ozone gas even while filtering the air, which means they are not 100 percent ozone-free.
7. You will need to clean or replace your pre-filter more often than usual if you run your unit 24/7 because this part gets dirty quickly since it is exposed to constant airflow and dust particles.
8. If your pre-filter needs frequent cleaning or replacement, you will have additional costs to keep your unit running around the clock.
9. If you always run your air purifier while sleeping, make sure it has a convenient timer mode and adjustable volume settings for extremely quiet operation.
10. Since an air purifier designed to operate continuously emits some ozone gas, avoid having one in your bedroom if you are sensitive to this chemical or suffer from breathing difficulties since exposure during sleep can be harmful.
11. Be prepared to spend more money on electricity costs if the manufacturer’s claim that your unit will save energy by removing contaminants from indoor spaces is accurate.
12. You may need to replace parts of your air purifier more often than usual, which could increase maintenance costs if they wear out sooner because of being exposed to constant airflow.
13. When the filter of an around-the-clock air purifier is dirty, you might not tell if its filters need replacement unless checking the manufacturer’s specifications which are generally less frequent than those used for units that run only when turned on or at timed intervals.
14. If you have allergies, smoke in your home or pets, there are better solutions than turning on your air cleaner 24/7. Even though running it continuously cleans the environment much better, removing allergens from indoor spaces can be problematic.
15. Even if your air purifier has a high CADR (Clean Air Delivery Rate) and claims to work great on heavy odors such as cooking and pet smells, your home won’t smell fresh all the time when you keep it running 24/7.
Can I use an ionizer if I run my air purifier 24/7?
No. We recommend that you do not use an ionizer with your air purifier. This is because ionizers can interfere with the performance of your machine, mainly if it uses negative ions to clean the air.
Can I run my air purifier 24/7 in a small room?
Yes. But to keep your unit operating at peak efficiency, we recommend changing the filter every two weeks when running continuously.
Can I run my air purifier 24/7 in larger rooms or houses?
We generally don’t recommend doing this unless you have a mighty unit, such as our T56 Smart Air system (which isn’t available for individual sale). Can I run my air purifier 24/7 and replace the filters less often? Again, this largely depends on the strength of your unit.
Can you run an air purifier 24/7 in the winter?
Yes. Can I run my air purifier 24/7 in the winter or summer? If you decide to run your machine continuously, we recommend using it only during the spring and fall months.